Friday, August 10, 2012

Thursday 8.8.12

Grandpa "Smitty" Memory #2: "Gotch'ya"



Ever since I can remember my Grandpa & I had this special thing we would do whenever we saw each other.  He would inevitably at some point casually point to my shirt and say "I think you got something right there Sally" when I was younger I would immediately and naively look down at myself but before I could say "where?" He would tap me on the nose with his finger, smile and say "gotch'ya".  It always made me laugh :) 
As I got older I knew what was coming but would continue to act surprised because I liked having our own  "thing".  Sometimes I would even beat him to the punch and be the one to point out something on his shirt before he had a chance to try to get me.  At some point we stopped doing this.  I'm not sure when, maybe it was when I graduated high school or moved away for college or maybe sometime after I got married...I'm not sure.  And I actually forgot about this familiar ritual we used to share until a couple of days ago when I walked into his hospital room and saw him laying on the bed.  I instantly tried to make light of the situation and did the first thing that popped into my head...
"I think you have a little something...right there Grandpa". 

No comments:

Post a Comment