Friday, August 10, 2012

Grandpa Memory #3: Accent



With a last name like Schmidt, no one ever asks you what your family origin is.  It is a very common German name.  When I was younger my mom would tell me that back in Germany our ancestors were known as Von Schmidt and were actually royalty.  So, if we ever moved to Germany I would be a princess :)  I have realized this is a "Big Fish".

However, when I was a kid, I believed it.  I also thought my Grandpa moved to the US from Germany as a child.  I thought this because when I was younger I had a hard time understanding my Grandpa.  He had a uniqueness in his voice that made it sometimes hard for me to understand him when I was a kid.  Because of this I thought he had a thick German accent.  I actually grew up thinking this and would tell teachers and friends that my mom was a second generation American, her father coming to the US as a child from Germany.  I will forever remember my Grandpa's sincere and unique voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment