Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Memory #7: Penelope The Prelude

When I was sixteen I was SO excited to get my license and a little bit of freedom that seemed like SO much more back then.  I was all set to get my sister Katie's old car but then unfortunately I was rear ended in this car while driving with my dad when I still had my permit.  Not surprisingly that small accident totalled her car and she needed to get a new one and then subsequently I needed a car too.
 
My parent's turned to my Grandpa who was then working at The Little Nickel.  He was the family's "go-to-person" for many things one of which was cars.  He was so knowledgeable at finding good used cars, through the adds in the Little Nickel.  I'm pretty sure that is where my parent's found the Corolla in the first place :) 

My Grandpa was good at finding good deals on used cars but it was not a quick process as he patiently waited for a good deal to come a long.  I was anxious for a car and finally the day came...I was almost 17 years old by this time :) I remember my dad telling me that him & my mom were going to meet my Grandpa to go look at a car for me that afternoon while I was in school.  I was beyond excited.  It was all I could think about that day at school and I couldn't wait to get home to see if they had bought it.  I had no idea what kind of car it even was!  ...and was a little nervous it would be a big old boat of a car.



When I got home I was so happy to see that they had picked out a cute little 2 door Honda Prelude WITH A SUNROOF!  I was in heaven.  I remember going to Bath & Body Works with my sister Katie and buying some air freshener and wipes especially for the car (even though it smelled fine).  Sometimes I have smelled the same scent at B&B works and it takes me right back to that time, driving through Edgewood to my best friend's house with the windows down and the sunroof open :)   I named her Penelope

Penelope was a great first car,  thank you Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment