Saturday, November 27, 2010

For my Mother


"A Mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity, when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts"
-Washington Irving

Thanksgiving fell on my mother's birthday this year.
Yes, that is what I meant to say.
To describe my mother is impossible.


She is many things to many people, beyond a mother, wife, sister, grandmother.
She is... a counselor, a chef, an accountant, a motivational speaker, an improvisational comedian, a feminist, an advocate and still amongst all of that she was able to raise 4 strong, intelligent and independent women. (if I do say so myself ;) )
Instead of trying to explain how thankful I am for her, I will share some of my favorite memories of growing up with a mother like mine.

*Watching I Love Lucy together after my older sisters left for school
*Going on adventures... this could be taking a detour home to follow a fire truck or ambulance to see what was going on, taking a walk during heavy wind storms, knocking on the door of her childhood home to have a look inside
*Singing to Amy Grant in the car... my head jerking back & forth in reaction to my mom pumping the breaks to the music

*Trips to the Ocean with my mom & sister Kate
*Coming home from WWU on school breaks and talking to her about all of my own adventures
*The "21 questions" she asks before I would leave the house... where will you be, when will you be home, do you have your cell phone...

*Hearing her talk in many silly accents
*Seeing her happy and tearful face on my wedding day
For this & every year I am thankful for my mother

1 comment: